<?xml version="1.0"?>
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xml:lang="en">
	<id>https://vassar.wiki/index.php?action=history&amp;feed=atom&amp;title=Ely_Hall</id>
	<title>Ely Hall - Revision history</title>
	<link rel="self" type="application/atom+xml" href="https://vassar.wiki/index.php?action=history&amp;feed=atom&amp;title=Ely_Hall"/>
	<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="https://vassar.wiki/index.php?title=Ely_Hall&amp;action=history"/>
	<updated>2026-08-17T13:54:59Z</updated>
	<subtitle>Revision history for this page on the wiki</subtitle>
	<generator>MediaWiki 1.43.6</generator>
	<entry>
		<id>https://vassar.wiki/index.php?title=Ely_Hall&amp;diff=1226&amp;oldid=prev</id>
		<title>CormacM: Created the page</title>
		<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="https://vassar.wiki/index.php?title=Ely_Hall&amp;diff=1226&amp;oldid=prev"/>
		<updated>2026-07-07T23:06:14Z</updated>

		<summary type="html">&lt;p&gt;Created the page&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;New page&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div&gt;{{Wikipedia|page=Ely Hall}}{{Infobox building|year built=1890}}&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039;Ely Hall&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039; is an [[:Category:Academic Buildings|academic building]] that houses the [[Earth Science and Geography Department]], as well as Studio Art space. Ely was originally built in 1890 as the &amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039;Alumni Gymnasium&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039;, also known simply as the &amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039;Gymnasium Building&amp;#039;&amp;#039;&amp;#039;. It is named after Professor of Mathematics Achsah Ely, who originally pushed for the construction of a new Gymnasium after [[Avery Hall]]. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
== History ==&lt;br /&gt;
In 1891 Harriet Isabel Ballintine was appointed Director of the Gymnasium and later served as an Assistant Professor until 1930. Ballintine notably organized the first ever college Track and Field Event for women in 1895, as well as establishing Field Hockey as an acceptable sport for women. She is the namesake of [[Ballintine Field]].&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
In 1905 an addition was added to the back of the building. It served as the Gym until [[Kenyon Hall]] was built in 1933, when it became Ely Hall. The Geology Department has been housed there since 1937. The building was renovated to fit its new purpose, with the pool covered up and the large gym converted to the [[Aula]]. &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Studio Art began using the second floor by 1967.&amp;lt;ref&amp;gt;[https://www.vassar.edu/buildings-and-belonging/buildings/ely-hall Buildings and Belonging - Ely Hall | Vassar College]&amp;lt;/ref&amp;gt; After closing in the 1970s, the remains of the Vassar [[Natural History Museum]] that had not been sold were moved to Ely in 1992. In 2006 it was renamed the A. Scott Warthin Museum of Geology and Natural History.&amp;lt;ref&amp;gt;Natural History Museum - Vassar Encyclopedia - Vassar College&amp;lt;/ref&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
== References ==&lt;br /&gt;
&amp;lt;references /&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;
[[Category:Academic Buildings]]&lt;/div&gt;</summary>
		<author><name>CormacM</name></author>
	</entry>
</feed>