Music Department: Difference between revisions
Appearance
Created Music Department page, will work on courses and faculty later. |
m fix reference |
||
| Line 3: | Line 3: | ||
== History == | == History == | ||
The department was a foundational part of Vassar, hiring a professor in 1865, and allowing music courses to fulfill requirements for the degree in 1868.<ref>[https://web.archive.org/web/20260718042159/https://vcencyclopedia.vassar.edu/buildings-grounds-technology/buildings/skinner-hall/]</ref> These dates make it the oldest music department in the country. It used to be housed in the top floor of the former Calisthenium and Riding Academy before moving to Skinner Hall after its construction in 1931. | The department was a foundational part of Vassar, hiring a professor in 1865, and allowing music courses to fulfill requirements for the degree in 1868.<ref>[https://web.archive.org/web/20260718042159/https://vcencyclopedia.vassar.edu/buildings-grounds-technology/buildings/skinner-hall/] Vassar College Encyclopedia, "Skinner Hall of Music".</ref> These dates make it the oldest music department in the country. It used to be housed in the top floor of the former Calisthenium and Riding Academy before moving to Skinner Hall after its construction in 1931. | ||
== Courses Offered == | == Courses Offered == | ||
| Line 28: | Line 28: | ||
=== Adjunct Artists === | === Adjunct Artists === | ||
== References == | |||
Revision as of 15:08, 14 August 2026
Music Department
The Vassar College Music Department is the department dedicated to teaching all facets of music, offering one major and five correlates. The department's home is in Skinner Hall, with all classes relating to music being held there. It also handles all the non-student-led ensembles, as well as guest concerts.
History
The department was a foundational part of Vassar, hiring a professor in 1865, and allowing music courses to fulfill requirements for the degree in 1868.[1] These dates make it the oldest music department in the country. It used to be housed in the top floor of the former Calisthenium and Riding Academy before moving to Skinner Hall after its construction in 1931.