Jump to content

Skinner Hall

From VassarWiki
Revision as of 14:36, 14 August 2026 by Wiesy (talk | contribs) (Added descriptions and the Waverly Collection.)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Skinner Hall
Year built1931

Skinner Hall, officially the Belle Skinner Hall of Music, is an academic building located at the southern part of Main Campus. Skinner houses the Music Department and the George Sherman Dickinson Music Library. The building opened June 7, 1931, and is named after Belle Skinner, class of 1887.[1] Prior to the construction of Skinner, the Music Department had been located in Avery Hall.

Contents

Basement

Waverly Collection

Underneath the recital hall sits the Waverly Collection, an archive of physical music, documents, and instruments from the early music group the Waverly Consort. The instruments are recreations of what would have been used in the medieval and Renaissance eras, including percussion, woodwinds, strings, and brass instruments.

First Floor

Recital Hall

The northwestern side of the building is taken up by the Mary Anna Fox Martel Recital Hall, where the music department hosts concerts.

Music Library

While spanning 4 floors, the library's entrance is on the first floor. It houses many books and journals relating to music history, practice, and discourse, as well as a large collection of physical media. Hours can be found on the library website.

Practice Rooms

The southeastern side of every floor of Skinner houses practice rooms (21 in total) for use by students. Each one of these is equipped with a Steinway Grand Piano.[2]

Second Floor

Third Floor

Electronic Music Studio

Fourth Floor

Thekla Hall

Thekla Hall (pronounced Tekla) is a smaller concert space and classroom located above the Recital Hall.

References